Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth made no secret of his desire to be given the job on a permanent basis, but knows the only way to achieve his ambition is to get the team back on the winning track.The club sacked Ronald Koeman on Monday and handed Under-23 manager Unsworth the reins on a temporary basis on Tuesday.“It doesn’t matter how many games, I’ll stand there a proud man and give it everything I’ve got,” the 44-year-old Unsworth, who made 314 appearances for Everton, told a news conference ahead of Wednesday’s League Cup trip to Chelsea.The former defender said Koeman paid the price for failing to win – Everton have two league victories in nine games under the Dutchman this season.“The bottom line for any manager when they lose their job is did you win enough games and unfortunately we’re in a position where you’re going to say ‘no, we haven’t’,” Unsworth said.Unsworth, who filled in as caretaker for the final game of the 2015-16 season after Roberto Martinez was sacked, said he had no qualms about taking the interim role for a second time.“It’s a very easy decision to make… it’s not a difficult decision at all to stand as Everton manager,” he added. “If you’re an Evertonian, that makes you very proud.“I’ll repeat myself from the last time I sat here 18 months ago. Who wouldn’t want this job?“It is a top job for absolutely any football manager, myself included… an opportunity to hopefully get a run of games where performance levels go up and we produce some wins as well.“From that, performances and results will dictate any future for me as Everton manager. I want to manage and this is an amazing club to be manager of. I think the time has come to say that. I make no secret of it.”Unsworth refused to single out individuals responsible for the team’s slump.“The problem is the team hasn’t won enough games and we have to burden the responsibility together. It’s not down to individuals leaving, individuals not coming in, it’s a team game and we burden that together,” he said.Third-bottom Everton visit 14th-placed Leicester City, who last week sacked manager Craig Shakespeare, in the league on Sunday.
Dear Editor,Your attention is drawn to a letter dated October 8, 2016, that was written by one Lakram Singh, Councillor and Vice Chairman of the NO 52-74 NDC Works Committee.Mr Singh wrote that the Region 6 Chairman refused to pay 0,000 towards the weeding of the area around the Monument at the Arch Square in Rose Hall Town. He claimed that the work was some “emergency work done for the Town Day Celebration”.As Secretary/CEO of the RHTY&SC, MS who spearheaded the hosting of the 46th anniversary celebration of our small township, I would like to state quite clearly that the Region 6 RDC did not undertake in any weeding or cleaning of the Rose Hall Town Monument site.All cleaning of that area for the Town Week celebration was undertaken by the RHTY&SC, MS and the Rose Hall Town Mayor and Town Council.Just to verify that I was not mistaken, I phoned Regional Chairman Mr David Armogan to enquire about the accusation that a contractor was seeking 0,000 for weeding the area around the Rose Hall Town Monument.The Regional Chairman was shocked at the allegation and stated that the area was actually the Monument in East Canje, Rose Hall Estate. That Monument was erected by the Guyana Government in honour of the sugar workers who died over a century ago during a struggle for betterment in the sugar industry.Residents of Rose Hall Town are left to wonder how Mr Singh in his wisdom can involve our township and its Town Day celebration in this scandal.Was he misinformed or was he not paying attention to what was said. Either way, he owes us an apology and to acknowledge that he was wrong. Public officials should always be careful with facts and get their information correct before rushing to the media.Sincerely,Hilbert FosterSecretary/CEO
A 30-year-old father of two was on Friday slapped with a narcotics trafficking charge that arraigned him before Georgetown Magistrate Leron Daly.Ras Paris denied the charge, which stated that on March 29, 2017, at North Ruimveldt Georgetown, he had in his possession 908 grams of cannabis for the purpose of trafficking.In a bail application, defense attorney Mark Waldron told the court that his client’s home was searched but no narcotics were found in his possession. According to the lawyer, during the course of the raid, a member of the search party alerted the others to the presence of some plastic bag containing a substance suspected to be the illicit drug, which was discovered in an alley behind Paris’s premises.Waldron argued that it would be unreasonable to draw the inference that the narcotics found in a place over which the accused had no control belonged to the accused.The Prosecution’s case, however, disputed the attorney’s position. The prosecution asserted that the cannabis was found concealed in a black plastic bag in the kitchen area of the home, and that another set was discovered in an area behind the house.Paris’s lawyer contested this information, contending that the premises houses multiple occupants with regard to the first set of marijuana unearthed in the kitchen; thus ownership cannot be attributed to his client. He iterated that the second find does not amount to possession by the accused, maintaining that there is no nexus between the two finds, and that it is unreasonable to combine the separate parcels in order to initiate one charge against his client.Paris was granted $200,000 bail, and the case has been adjourned to April 21.
“The NEB’s hearing will be a comprehensive scientific and technical examination of project-related marine shipping,” said NEB chief environment officer Robert Steedman in a statement. CALGARY, A.B. – The National Energy Board has released a schedule that it says will allow it to reconsider its approval of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project in time to meet a Feb. 22 federal government deadline.The federal regulator is imposing filing deadlines starting this month, will hear oral traditional evidence by Indigenous groups in November and December, and will hear potential oral summary arguments in January.The plan to triple the capacity of the existing Trans Mountain pipeline between Edmonton and Burnaby, B.C., is in limbo while Ottawa, which now owns the pipeline, attempts to fulfil a court’s requirements to consult Indigenous communities and consider the environmental impact of additional oil tankers off the coast.- Advertisement -The federal government ordered the NEB to reconsider parts of Trans Mountain’s application related to marine shipping and appointed former Supreme Court justice Frank Iacobucci to oversee a new round of consultations with Indigenous communities.After gathering input from the public on two options earlier this month, the NEB says it will limit its consideration of project-related shipping to the area between the Westridge Marine Terminal and the 12-nautical-mile territorial sea limit, not to Canada’s 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone.It also corrected the number of approved interveners to 99, noting it had initially released an incorrect total of 98 on Oct. 5.Advertisement
1 Former Arsenal midfielder Abou Diaby is about to make his first appearance in 506 days for Marseille.The 29-year-old left the Gunners in the summer after playing only 125 times since arriving in north London in 2006.Following his move to France, Diaby broke down in training resulting in a further seven months in the treatment room, meaning he is yet to play for his new club. However, he is finally fit and in line to make his debut in the French cup against Trelissac on Thursday.See below for the best reactions to Diaby return from injury (and some predictions of how long it will last!) Abou Diaby
1 Loris Karius in action for Mainz Liverpool are ready to splash £8m on Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius, according to reports in Germany.The 22-year-old is wanted by several sides this summer after impressing in the Bundesliga this season.However, according to Bild, Liverpool are about to win the race by activating Karius’ £8m release-clause.Scouts from the Premier League club have been watching the goalkeeper since Jurgen Kloop’s arrival at Anfield in October.The German manager is keen to provide competition to current number one Simon Mignolet and he believes Karius is the man to do it.
1 Hugo Lloris was in fine form against Monaco but could not prevent a 2-1 defeat in Monaco Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has admitted he is frustrated and bitterly disappointed after Tottenham’s early exit from the Champions League.Spurs took five years to return to Europe’s premier tournament but crashed out with a group game still to play after a 2-1 loss to Monaco ended their hopes of progression.READ MORE: ‘Dropping into the Europa League is good for Tottenham’, says Mauricio PochettinoFrench number Lloris, who is considering whether to extend his contract at White Hart Lane, underlined his importance to the team with another excellent display at Stade Louis II, which included saving a first-half penalty from Radamel Falcao.The Frenchman, however, could not prevent a third defeat of the campaign and Tottenham will now drop into the Europa League, provided they take at least a point at home to CSKA Moscow next month.And he said all the players must take responsibility for their poor campaign, admitted they had ‘all failed’.“It makes for a lot of frustration, I can’t hide that,” Lloris said.“We will talk between ourselves and try to find solution. Maybe we are not ready to manage Premier League and Champions League campaigns at the same time, but we need to question ourselves about that.“Everyone at the club was excited to play this competition, and all the players too, but we failed all together.“We had bigger expectations in this group stage. We will not go through, we are still fighting for a Europa League but it’s not enough for a club like Spurs. It’s a big disappointment.“We need to digest this and look forward to the game at Chelsea on Saturday.”Pochettino perhaps paid the price for keeping one eye on the clash at Stamford Bridge, as he left Jan Vertonghen, Kyle Walker and Christian Eriksen on the bench.Vertonghen’s omission was the most surprising, given he was not carrying an injury, and it is possible Pochettino was preserving the Belgian, who will be the only available option at left-back this weekend.Danny Rose, who started in France, will be serving a domestic suspension and Ben Davies is out with an ankle problem.“It is a question for the manager,” Lloris said of Pochettino’s selection.“We know we have a good squad and sometimes it can happen that the manager rotates, but that kind of thing shouldn’t affect the team because we have enough quality in the squad.”READ MORE: ‘Tottenham have a great chance to finish in the top four…if they don’t play in the Europa League’, Clive Allen tells talkSPORT
1 In-demand Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang In-demand Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has cooled talk of a move to Manchester City or Real Madrid by insisting he wants to stay at Borussia Dortmund.The 27-year-old striker has already bagged 20 goals this season for the German side, to add to the 39 he scored last year.That has sparked interest from all of Europe’s biggest clubs, including City, Real and fellow Spanish giants Barcelona, while a mega-money move to China was also mooted.But Aubameyang has poured cold water on a move away from Dortmund for now, insisting he is happy and commited to the club’s hunt for silverware.“For now, I want to stay in Dortmund,” he told RMC.“I think we’ll stop talking about Madrid. This is not the time to talk about it, especially since I feel really good in Dortmund. The challenge is even more beautiful.“Of course we are one of the top clubs, but not really like Barca, Madrid or Bayern. It would be nice to win titles with this team, with Dortmund. I hope to do so.”
WHEN LAUSD officials were confronted with data that raise concerns about a possible conflict of interest involving the firm that provides the district with political advice, they responded by saying they have a fire wall in place to prevent wrongdoing. The firm, Rose & Kindel, was advising the Los Angeles Unified School District and Superintendent Roy Romer at the same time it was lobbying in Sacramento for private firms that had extensive contracts with the district. Just the appearance of such relationships is disturbing, although there’s no evidence that Rose & Kindel improperly used its position. But appearances are important, and the access that the firm had could have easily been abused. Maybe there’s no crossover in business dealing, maybe there is. Those kinds of things are hard to know for sure in the wink-wink, nudge-nudge political game of implied understandings that are the hallmark of Los Angeles government. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREFrumpy Middle-aged Mom: My realistic 2020 New Year’s resolutions. Some involve doughnuts.Still, it doesn’t change the fact that toothless ethical requirements allow for such unseemly deals to take place. And language in the LAUSD’s code of conduct for contractors treats the appearance of conflicts of interest as just as potentially damaging as actual conflicts. The culpability of the LAUSD aside, this situation of lobbyists’ working for both the shiller and the shillee is one of the things that makes politics so dirty in Los Angeles. It shows that just about anything goes in L.A., so long as everyone promises that they aren’t doing anything naughty while they spread out the wealth through million-dollar contracts. We could beat up the LAUSD for a while, but it wouldn’t be fair to single out the school district. It modeled its rules after the city’s. All of this should put to rest the argument that the phony ethics-reforms measures pushed by the City Council will have any effect at all at cleaning up City Hall, or the school district, for that matter. But that isn’t going to happen. Indeed, the City Council needs the cover of phony ethics-reforms measures as part of its shell game involving term-limit extensions on the November ballot. The reforms – which City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo says actually weaken some existing rules and could be adopted by a simple vote of the council – would ban all fundraising by lobbyists, require greater disclosure and registration of lobbyists, and ban their appointment to city commissions. What’s so pathetic about those so-called reforms is that the council’s first calls to solicit funds for their term-limits expansion measure will be to lobbyists and to the clients they represent. The problem isn’t just that the rules are weak and full of loopholes. The problem is that the officials themselves are so jaded from living and working in a corrupt environment for so long that they don’t even know the difference between right and wrong. And that’s as good a definition as any of “crazy.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Striker Achille Campion came off the bench to inspire Cork City to a come-from-behind victory at the Showgrounds last night.The Frenchman claimed his first goal for Cork by tapping home from close range against his former club to cancel out Kieran Sadlier’s opener for the home side.And Kevin O’Connor’s late corner kick flew past everyone and into the net to seal a victory that takes Cork 16 points clear at the top.And they had to do it despite top-scorer Seanie Maguire missing from the spot in Sligo for the second year in a row as Cork struggled initially to peg Rovers back.The league-leaders made a blistering start, and should really have been ahead inside the opening three minutes.Former Bit O’ Red midfielder Jimmy Keohane had a great chance in the second minute when he found himself free from Maguire’s cross into the area, but he could only direct his close-range effort straight at Rovers keeper Micheál Schlingermann.The ball rebounded out for Karl Sheppard – a late inclusion in the starting team after the withdrawal of Garry Buckley – but he too found Schlingermann in his way as he tried to pass the ball to the net.A minute later and Sheppard was released again in the right-hand side of the box, but his low shot was expertly tipped around the post by the netminder.But despite missing the suspended John Russell, Tobi Adebayo-Rowling and the injured Daniel Kearns, Rovers were not overawed, and they forced their way into the contest as Chris Kenny released Sadlier on the left, and Alan Bennett had to make an important block to deny the winger.Maguire picked up an early booking as Cork’s frustration grew and the home side’s industry was rewarded midway through the half, when Bennett tried to cut out Sadlier’s ball into the box but caught Liam Martin in the midriff.Referee Robert Hennessy pointed to the spot immediately and the in-form Sadlier stepped up to send Mark McNulty the wrong way from the spot for his eighth goal of the season.It could have got even better for Rovers ten minutes later, as Raff Cretaro broke skilfully down the left before crossing for Jonah Ayunga, whose curling shot was tipped around the post by McNulty at full stretch.From the resulting corner, Liam Martin saw a low shot blocked by Greg Bolger, while McNulty was then called into action again to deny Cretaro.Cork did have the ball in the net just before the break, but Bennett was adjudged to have fouled Schlingermann as he bundled the ball in from close range.But the visitors had a great chance to get back in the tie ten minutes into the second half when Sheppard was fouled by Kyle Callan-McFadden.But Maguire missed from the spot for the second time in two seasons, as his effort flashed the wrong side of the post.Cork boss John Caulfield responded by introducing Campion off the bench, and the forward had the simple job of tapping to an empty net just three minutes after his introduction as Johnny Dunleavy’s breakout effort was palmed into his path.Youngsters Mikey Place and Martin Walsh were introduced off a Rovers bench that included five U19 players, but Cork went in front with just nine minutes remaining when O’Connor’s corner deceived everyone inside the area and crept inside the far post.A stinging half-volley from the impressive Liam Martin threatened McNulty’s goal at the other end, but that was as close as Rovers came to salvaging a draw, as Cork claimed yet another three points and extended their unbeaten run to 15 matches. Sligo Rovers manager Gerard Lyttle speaking after Monday’s 2-1 defeat to league-leaders Cork City at the Showgrounds..Audio Playerhttps://www.oceanfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Gerard-Lyttle-After-Cork-2-1-defeat.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. REPORTSligo Rovers 1(Sadlier pen 23)Cork City 2(Campion 64, O’Connor 81)